Truth #9: Pitying Satan

1:03 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
It is a truth universally acknowledged that nothing is always just as it seems or what has been taught to us.

I have begun to sympathize with Satan.  Okay, shocking I know, but I have a point that has nothing to do with the evil part and that overall I absolutely despise the whole realm of the satanic, which cannot really be condensed into a single figure, just like God is not a human being and is also many different figures to me.  Sorry, I will get to my point eventually, but all contexts must be included.

Next semester, I have signed up for Brit + American Lit: Beowulf to 1660.  This means I am going to be reading several astoundingly lengthy but brilliantly crafted epic poems that will inspire my heart and soul to dance with jubilant enthusiasm. Bring on the verbose!  I, knowing myself, must read as many as possible before school starts because the second time through I can analyze, but the first time I am so involved with the plot that nothing else can enter my comprehension.  I have begun with the one epic poem I long to read most, but for some reason continue to try and fail.  So, I have leaped headfirst and will hopefully swim all the way to the shore of John Milton's Paradise Lost.

Paradise Lost is about the fall of man, shown in ways that shed light on the "good", the "evil", and the "human" aspects of the original fall of the angels and the subsequent fall of man.  It begins with the fall of the angels from heaven, after having been defeated by the Almighty (which is how they refer to Him) and sent to hell (Chaos) as punishment.  All of the fallen angels, who were once favorites of God, are now chained to a burning lake and beside themselves with grief and disillusion.  Satan and Beelzebub are the first to gain their bearings and begin to decide how to deal with their defeat and what now must be done about the Almighty.  To cut things short, they rally up the angels and there is an image of the demons (fallen angels) with shields and swords of fire.

This is when I begin to get an aching feeling in my heart and tear up for Satan.  I often feel odd about this, but then I realize that it is befitting of me to have mercy, even to the most unforgivable, because that is what God wants us to do.  I feel so sympathetic and emotional, and--dare I admit it--believe that Satan was dealt a bad hand and is not trying to be evil (using human analogies).  John Milton gives us this:

The fallen angels have pried themselves off the fiery lake, the burning torture removed, but with hardened hearts and filled with despair.  Grasping for purpose they stand in allegiance, refusing to break their bond with one another in this place they call Chaos.  We are given their futures; they are all destined to be a pagan god, most representing money, lust or blood.  They stand and look to their leader.  They have all chosen Satan without anyone conferring.  They freely relinquish all hopes of leading to Satan due to their mutual lack of hubris.  They know exactly how each demon ranks.

This is the point in which I am impressed at the brotherhood and begin to think how misunderstood everything is.  And then comes Satan:

He stands high above his legions, taller and more ethereal than any.  He looks down and out at them and begins to speak.  Alas, he cannot.  Satan bursts into tears, gathers himself and tries to speak.  Again he bursts into tears.  And once more before he is able to give the most heart rendering speech about the acceptance of their fate to oppose God and deliver misery to the world.  He knows his plight and the plights of his brothers and even Milton says that the only thing Satan ever did wrong was oppose God.

I even get a little choked up writing about it.  Can you feel the pain, the heartbreaking agony Satan is experiencing?  The only thing Satan ever did wrong was oppose God.  He then goes on to realize that is is his destiny to act against the will of God always.  Never once do I feel like this is what he meant for himself.  Yes, he raised an army; yes, he is inherently evil.  It is that right there which makes me pity him so: he is INHERENTLY evil.  Greek mythology makes the same point.  Zeus and Hades have an intense sibling rivalry; Hades is desperately trying to outshine Zeus and consistently falling short.  I think we can all identify with that.

I think we should all sympathize with the fall.  Pity Satan a little.  I bet you that is the one thing he will hate most.  And the one thing God will be most proud of us for.

"There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil--a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome." (Chapter 11, Pride and Prejudice)

1 comments:

Katie Sue said...

How thought-provoking my dear Ellie! First of all, I would say that Milton did an excellent job in crafting his characters--Satan was meant to be the tragic hero in this epic, and thus he needed to be a sympathetic character. Based on what you are writing here, I think he achieved this goal well.

Secondly, I agree that we should feel great anguish for Satan--what a horrible fate he's been sentenced to! I think he is the prime example of the hell that is living with the consequences of our sins. And again I think that reveals how significant the cross is--we now have a better understanding of the fate we've been spared from.

But I can't even begin to imagine the anguish of knowing that you are forever separated from your Creator, the one whom you loved. Sadly Satan loved himself more, or at least in those moments leading up to the fall. I hesitate to say "all he did was oppose God" because that is the nature of sin, opposing God. Satan did not make his decision lightly; I have to believe he knew what he was doing. BUT I don't think he understood what separation from God would mean and that, that, is the tragedy.